Rare Books Department
Žygimantų St. 1, LT-01102 Vilnius
+370 262 36 69
+370 240 48 34 (Old Periodicals Section)
Dr. Daiva Narbutienė
Head of Department
Readers are assisted in the Tadeusz Wroblewski Reading Room (2 Floor, Room 30; the reading room is shared with the Manuscript Department and has 18 work places) and in the Old Periodicals Reading Room (3 Floor, Room 32; 6 work spaces)
- Mondays–Fridays 8.00–19.00
The documents from Rare Books Department have to be ordered till 16.45. The readers, who intended to work in the specialized reading rooms after 16.45, are kindly requested to order the documents in advance.
- document acquistions;
- preservation and presentation of the holdings;
- reader Service.
The department was founded in 1957 by the merge of the Old and Rare Book Sector, the Art Sector and the Cartography Sector. In 1991 the department was divided into two new units: the Rare Book Department and the Old Periodicals Department. On February 14, 2011 these departments were merged to form the Rare Book Department with the Old Periodicals Section.
The Department acquires, catalogues and keeps all books published before 1800, bibliographic and polygraphic rarities, books in Lithuanian published before 1918 (if published abroad, before 1945), significant Lituanica publications published from 1800 to 1944, 19th-20th-century Lithuanian and Lithuanistic periodical literature (pre-1945), rare non-Lithuanistic periodical literature (pre-1800), Lithuanian émigré periodicals, albums of art reproductions, engravings, postcards, photographs, small documents, cartographic publications. The department has in its holdings approximately 400 thousand publications, among them 63 incunabula, more than 600 post-incunabula, more than 160 thousand newspaper and journal issues and a unique collection of cuneiform tablets.
The department‘s holdings and the old book markings (bookplates, labels, stamps, ownership inscrioptions) are studied and described in scientific literature. The expositions of the materials from the department‘s collections are mounted regularly in the Tadeusz Wroblewski Reading Room.
The electronic catalogue of the holdings of the Rare Book Department was started in 2001. It can be searched through the Electronic Catalogue of the Library. The entire holdings of the department reflected in the electronic catalogue can be found by entering CIM or SPER (Old Periodicals) in the search field. Search of the department‘s documents can also be conducted through Special Collections of the Library as well as in the card catalogues of the Tadeusz Wroblewski Reading Room and the Old Periodicals Reading Rooms.
- Evangelical Lutherans‘ and Reformers‘ Press in 16th-18th century Lithuania: Exhibition catalogue (October 7-30, 2003) [electronic resource] / introductory texts by Mindaugas Sabutis, exhibits selected and described by Daiva Narbutienė.
- Vilnius Evangelical Reformers Synod Library – 500 Year Anniversary: exhibition catalogue (December 7-31, 2007) / preface and descriptions by Violeta Radvilienė.
- Arte et Marte: Old Documents on War: to commemorate the Žalgiris Battle‘s 600 Year Anniversary: exhibition catalogue (July 7 – August 3, 2010)/ [prepared by Danguolė Palačionytė ir Violeta Radvilienė].
- Gloria in excelsis: Nativity in Graphic Arts (2011-02-01) / [prepared by Neringa Markauskaitė].